Tuesday, March 5, 2019

SOL #5 PJ Time

I had no idea what I was going to write today.  I think I was actually going to write about that I had nothing to write about until I saw the link for the Pajama Program that donates "the magical gifts of pajamas and books." As soon as I saw this line I was flooded with "Yes!" pajamas and books are magical and flashes of m sons and my childhood came to mind before the wave of sadness for the children who are forsaken these magical items.
Last night, my sons and I traveled back to 1600 Japan and rode on a dragon. One son was dressed as an Incredible and the other a Lego Ninjago. Soft little hands grabbed mine as we enjoyed another adventure by Mary Pope Osborn.  We have traveled many nights together.  Cuddled on rocking chairs we became hungry caterpillars. Now we are laughing and questioning and wondering through chapter books. 
Our bedtime routine was interrupted because I needed to attend to something before I fell asleep in between these warm little bodies. I heard the boys talking and when I asked them to settle down they told me they were saying their prayers. "Job well done, Mom," I said to myself and in my head my own mother.  She, after all, began this tradition of books and prayers and back scratches and cuddles.
This ordinary routine is more than ordinary.  It is extraordinary safety, love, and magical journeys.  My boys throw aside the boxes of clothes unwrapped on Christmas and birthdays but pajamas have a special place. They know too that PJ time is a special I Love You Time.
I'm going to spread the love now and shop the swag on Two Writing Teachers Online Shop.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading The Magic Tree House with my own children! I could feel the tenderness from your words, and how I so wish many more children could experience this PJ and snuggle time just once. "Job well done, Mom!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the snuggly read aloud times with my own sons once upon a time. Somehow pajamas (while definitely worn) were never a big part of my memories of those long ago nights, Keep reading to them beyond when they think they want you to:)

    ReplyDelete