Tuesday, March 12, 2019

SOL #12 A Moment in the Grey

"Huh? What?"
She got caught again in her own world.  She was happier there.  She felt like a cartoon character caught by the back of her collar and whooshed back into this other grey dimension.
She was in a greener place, splashed with movement and color.
Now she was back in the cold and boring, answering a question that she answered in her head at least twenty minutes ago.  Why should she stay here to wait for the pretty Dum Dums? Sure she could have answered the question and gotten the kind smile from the teacher. But all she got was the pursed lips scolding her for not paying attention.  How did Old Mrs Frog Face get the lipstick inside the wrinkles on her lips?
She crunched up her paper and put her head down.  Why even bother showing that she had gotten the answer forever ago?  Frog Face was only interested in slow brained, pretty girls that followed her every single direction.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great small moment. What vivid details. I liked being able to know their inner thoughts. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a story waiting to be told more fully. I like the tension and the inner thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great picture of those kids who daydream. Although I hope I'm not the teacher who gets the lipstick in the wrinkles (such a great line!). Your development of this character is so well-developed! Makes me want to just go and hug her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would love that. True wondering about the lipstick from when I was daydreaming in my fourth grade class. Now I am a fourth grade teacher and I cringe at what they must think.

      Delete