Saturday, March 16, 2019

SOL #16 Because I Said So

 
 I was thinking about some discourse I had about religion.  There were times in my life when I practiced my faith but it wasn't my choice.  My parents dictated that I would go to mass, say my prayers and learn my catechism.  I realize now that if my parents had not made the choice for me that I would not have the ability to choose to practice today.  By not letting children have a choice, we give them the opportunity to choose later on in life.
      When it comes to the music program that our children are so lucky to have, I tell them they do not have a choice. I say we do not give them the choice to not learn math. We would not take seriously if a child said, "I don't want to learn to read and write." I don't understand why some adults comply when children want to quit the band or orchestra. I get that you know your child will not probably make a living as a musician.  However, I will remind everyone, I do not make my living figuring chemistry formulas. If we let them not take an instrument now we take away their choice later to enjoy playing or having the ability to choose a musical path.
     I've always been an educator that has given the children choices in learning.  The children choose what books to read.  They choose what they want to write.  They choose their own research projects.  I now see the value in retaining the choice from students.  Sometimes we need to remember that we are the adults and we do know what is best.  We are not letting them choose now so they can choose later.
   

3 comments:

  1. Some children do a lot of questioning adults and resisting authority, but it's important for adults to enforce expectations and standards. It's hard to find the right balance of give choices and having children do things a certain way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, a delicate balance between allowing kids choice and forcing them into things they try and do not enjoy. I agree that children should be exposed to lots so that they do not narrow their options for sure/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting thinking. I have not really thought about this way. It makes me wonder about the decisions I made for my own children. We never let them have televisions in their bedrooms. We had our reasons for that, but I never thought about them having that choice now. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete