Sunday, March 24, 2019

SOL #24 Reeling Out the Line

"Put down your phone," I told myself "and take it all in." My little babies are becoming slowly more independent.  It is the little things that they can do for themselves.  Liam finally learned to swing high on the swings today.  Sean pushed those little legs round and round on his bike, up the hill that separates us from the school and the playground. And then, I was able to sit and watch.  Liam made it across the monkey bars and Sean climbed to the top of the playscape. All I had to do was sit and watch.
"Yes. I see.  You did it! Wow! I see you! I am so proud of you."
Little by little, they are conquering the world.  I get to witness these accomplishments as I slowly let go. Like a flyer, I slowly release my string and watch the wind catch my beautiful, soaring kites.
Facebook memories make me miss the chubby babies that clung to me. I clung back as we learned the new world of family together.  I sometimes want to go back to those days but I remember the isolation and tether to the home.
Now we experience a bit of freedom both together and apart.  Our areas are increasing. My boys explore their perimeters as I watch from the center.  I let out a little more line knowing there is still time to reel back my kites away from the wind and bring them home.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely metaphor. Enjoy these moments - they do go quickly. This was me, it seems like just yesterday, and now they are all adults. It happens in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece. I love the lines:
    Like a flyer, I slowly release my string and watch the wind catch my beautiful, soaring kites.
    I sometimes want to go back to those days but I remember the isolation and tether to the home.
    Now we experience a bit of freedom both together and apart.
    I think anyone who has watched children grow can appreciate this push and pull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece is written with such tenderness. I just got back from shopping with my college-aged son because he has his first interview this week. Yes, he is exploring his perimeter as I watch from the center. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete