Saturday, March 2, 2019

SOL #2 Marvelous Monotonous March



As a teacher, March is the month with no holiday breaks.  It is the long stretch of not winter, not spring. Weathered in my twentieth year, March has new appeal.  
I realize that this is the time of year that my students and I really get our groove on.  Expectations are habit, foundations are laid and we just dive into the work, bettering ourselves everyday in small easy increments.  The long month is a quiet time of slow and steady but happy, cozy and familiar.  Yesterday, the first of March, I should have started the day harried from a slightly, snowy commute. March miracles! Every single child was working on writing, or spelling or finishing up a math project.  The classroom volume was at the perfect decibel. I breathed.  I smiled.
After lunch, we snuggled down to conclude our read aloud, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, an annual favorite that has shaped me as a person and teacher and crowns each of my students. "Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia."
The day culminated with one of my struggling students receiving a classroom certificate to his total surprise and another struggler's work honored at a school wide assembly. Can I say it?  It was the perfect day in the classroom.
Today, I slept in, as much as a mother of a 6 and 7 year old boys can.  My husband wants to know what we want to do today.  This. Just this.  The boys made a fort of those jumbo, cardboard, building brick, blocks and inhabited it with army men.  I'm writing this and I'm still in my pajamas, coffee in a think cozy mug, enabling me to savor thick warm gulps that my weekday travel mug just can't deliver.
March is nothing special but everything just being.


3 comments:

  1. I love your last line! It sums up everything so well, and leaves me with a warm, satisfied feeling. :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeping in, Saturday morning in PJs, kids building, a mug at hand ... it doesn't get better than this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stars align! Or maybe all your hard work finally coming together. Sounds just perfect. Love the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete