Tuesday, March 19, 2019

SOL #19 Just A Volunteer From The Audience

Oh no.  All their little faces are looking at me.  OK OK.  I'm going.  I have just volunteered to be in the Brain Challenge Assembly! I wade through the pretzel legged sea of students to the front of the cafetorium. I have already embarrassed myself by falling on my back in the Tug a War.  I pray that I know the answers. 
Man! That fifth-grade teacher sure does know her trivia.  She is going to be hard to beat.
Oh missed that one. 
Is my buzzer working?
Of forget buzzing in for that question. Lord knows I can't spell.
"Potomac!" Fifth Grade Teach yells.
Poop! I should have known that one.
"What hot cereal is also known as porridge?" 
Buzz!!!!
It's me!
Oatmeal for sure? Right? But wait I think. It could be farina. Cream of wheat?  Oh I can't lose on a question about cereal.
Oatmeal!
Correct!!!!!
I don't know Potomac but I know Oatmeal.
Why is my heart beating so fast?  This is crazy!!!
Buzz!!!!
Me Again
"Washington."
Washington....?"
"Washington DC!"
YES
Buzz!!!! 
Me again!!!
"District of Columbia!"
RED TEAM WINS!!!
Thank goodness.  I only have to walk back across the floor without falling and I'm safe.

3 comments:

  1. I like to think of all of my sols as first-draft writing. (That's the beauty and horror of needing to put something out every day for 31 days straight.) I think this is great first-draft writing. The possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fun to read! I liked the descriptions (for example pretzel leg sea of students) and could feel your tension, but sense of humor too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the internal and external dialogue in this. I would much rather answer questions than have to dance in front of my students - nope won't do that!

    ReplyDelete