Friday, March 22, 2019

SOL #22 Inside Out

Image result for slice of life orange
So today I met my student observer.  It has been a while since I had a student teacher or observer.  It is so weird having someone watch you all day.  I caught myself.  Am I being natural enough? Wow, I should have planned that better.  
Knowing that she was there made me a better teacher.  Not that I was showing off or anything but I definitely was more reflective.  I was forever monitoring the effectiveness of my planning, my take aways.  What would I do differently the next day or next year?  And now I'm writing about my reflectiveness.  I'm so inward thinking I'm about to turn inside out.
Hmm.  Whenever my boys are getting changed and putting their dirty laundry in the hamper, I yell, "Outside Out!" to remind them to turn out their clothes.  Outside Out. That is the kind of person I don't want to be.  I don't want my outside to be the only thing that is showing.  I want to be the kind of person who wears their heart on their sleeve but it is the sleeve that is turned inside out.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts! I love the line "I'm so inward thinking I'm about to turn inside out." :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post took a different turn than I was expecting. I still have to remind myself to put my clothes "outside out" so future Andrea doesn't hate doing laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the reflection and connections here. For the first time ever I have a full-time TA this year and it makes me super self conscious/reflective/aware- sometimes for good, sometimes less so. I hope your time with your observer is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a reflective person. This the way to grow and improve. You are generous. Sharing your expertise is helpful for the growth of young teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reflective writing is sometimes by best writing and my best thinking. Having and welcoming someone into our room to see our teaching is not only beneficial to them, but also to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I'm so inward thinking I'm about to turn inside out." This line is amazing. You have a way with words...as a first time reader of your blog, I was fascinated with how concisely you brought me into your mind! Keep on writing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete